Sunday 7 June 2020

Organic Farming | Cucumber, Indian Squash, Ridge Gourd, Bottle Gourd & Bitter Gourd

"We need more young people involved in farming because the future needs real food" - Helena Sylvester.

What if vegetables and fruits were not made available to us during this pandemic? What if there was a shortage? Do we have a back-up?

With such questions in mind, starting organic potting and organic farming seemed like a decent idea. After arranging some seeds of seasonal vegetables and herbs, some were sowed in pots, and others in the garden.

Despite watering them daily for five to six days, I couldn't see any results. While anticipating some of them to grow out of the mud, I was starting to wonder if they ever will. None of the cucumber or kheera seeds sprouted. Then I sowed some new ones, and this was the result:


Lesson 1: Have faith, have patience, and try again!

One or two days later, most of the Indian squash or tinda seeds looked like this:


And within a quarter day, I saw this:


This one wanted to say something:



But soon they started to frail away, and I realized they needed special care. Some of the saplings that survived are growing very slowly.

Lesson 2: Each dream needs to be nurtured differently. Some of them require a soothing environment to grow.

On the other hand, the two ridge gourd or turai saplings were just out there.


 



Lesson 3: Focus more on areas where you can grow effortlessly or with minimal effort. In other words, nurture your strengths.

Here is bottle gourd or lauki:


And here is bitter gourd or karela!


 

 


Bonus Lesson: Sometimes, beginnings are bittersweet.


6 comments:

  1. Niceeee , I still remember growing these in my Courtyard when I was a kid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also do organice farming at my home and ate the vegetables of my kitchen garden during lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shriya love the flow of this piece. Keep up this beautiful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely written Shriya good going.. keep jt up

    ReplyDelete